CURRICULUM VITAE: PRADEEP RAMAVATH J firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile- +91 99684 23622 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CAREER OBJECTIVE: • To grow and groom my career with a reputed organization working for the betterment of poor and marginalized stakeholders of community. • To take up key responsibilities and initiatives with an innovative/ learning organization working in the areas of Argiculture, Food security, Health, Education and Rural development. • To utilize my fullest potential for enhancing organization’s delivery mechanism to challenge and to constantly motivate my capabilities. • To learn new developmental practices, tools and integrate with organization’s practices to bring best innovations in the developmental sector. • To sharpen my networking and strategic mobilization skills by actively engage in policy dialogue process. AREAS OF INTEREST:
• Sustained and integrated community development initiatives focusing on Economic Development, Agriculture, Health, Education, Infrastructure development and Environment development programmes of reputed organizations. • Undertaking projects related to agriculture development in villages, working with SHG’s, Farmers groups, and Producer companies on community mobilization issues. • Net working with line departments, corporate industrial houses , local bodies, NGO’s, CBO’s for synergizing stakeholders in integrated community development practices. • Documentation, research, consultation and advocacy works related to developmental sectors CURRENT ENGAGEMENT: Working as Research Scholar and pursuing M.Phil in National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), New Delhi. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION:
Qualification Institution-University/Board Year Percentage Masters in - Urban and Rural Community Development. Tata Institute Of Social Sciences, Mumbai Deonar Mumbai-400 088 Deemed University www.tiss.edu 2004-2006.May. 66% Bachelor of Science (Agriculture) University Of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore 1999-2003 78.90% HSC D.V.S Independent Shimoga.Karnataka P.U.Board. 1997-1999 70% SSC D.V.S Independent Shimoga.Karnataka State Board. 1997 85%
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE. * Worked with DIFFUSION EVENTS INCORPORATED, BANGALORE as part time event management trainee for six months from 2002 December to 2003 June * Worked in SOCIAL SECURITY ASSOCIATION OF INDIA, BANGALORE as Data collector for 6months for INTERNATIONAL LABOUR ORGANISATION’S (ILO) project on social security from 2003 July to 2003 December. * Worked as Field assistant for the Swajala-Watershed Development Project of Government of Karnataka funded by World Bank in Rural Dry zones Tumkur District- Karnataka for 4 months 2003 December-2004 March * Worked as community mobilization consultant with Arkavathi-Kumudvathi River Rejuvenation Committee, Bangalore for period of 4 months * Worked as Senior Executive, Community Development in TVS Motor Co Ltd Mysore, Srinivasan Services Trust. (TVSST). Worked in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) wing of Sundaram Clayton Ltd and TVS Motor Co.Ltd from July 2006- July 2008.
FIELD- ACTION RESEARCH
1. Formalization of Waste pickers (Rag pickers) with Municipal Corporation of Grater Mumbai – A study of Waste pickers of Mumbai. 2. Study of SHG’s in Mawal & Mulshi Taluka’s of Maharashtra. 3. Community participation in Biodiversity conservation in the Tata Power Project area of Kamshet. 4. Possibility of alternate Solid waste management strategy at the ward levels in Mumbai. 5. Adoption of Vermiculture technology for organic waste management in Mumbai city. 6. Plastic waste recycling activities in the city of Mumbai. 7. Study on alternate livelihood options for Tribals of Kembal village in Mysore District. 8. Study of community participation in Farmers field school in District of Mysore in Karnataka. 9. Study of marketing dynamics of Non-Timber forest products in Araku valley of Andhra Pradesh. 10. Child friendly school initiative in Shorapur Block of Karnataka- Field placement report of Azim Premji Foundation,Bangalore 11. Networking of Industrial and Corporate houses on aspects of community development in Nanjangud industrial area of Mysore District. 12. Study of employee spare time and its utilization for community volunteering in TVS Motor Co. Ltd,Mysore.
FIELD WORK PLACEMENTS IN TATA INSTITUTE OF SOCIAL SCIENCES:
1. SECOND YEAR URBAN FIELD WORK PLACEMENT: Fieldwork agency: ENVIRONMENTAL CELL- MUNICIPAL CORPORATION OF GREATER MUMBAI (M.C.G.M)- http://www.mcgm.gov.in/ Environment cell has been newly formed Cell in MCGM during the year 2005 undergoing structuring programme. The work of the cell is to co-ordinate with different wings of MCGM, which deals with environmental issues. The cell has been commissioned for a holistic and sustainable management of Environment of Mumbai City. I was placed under MCGM’s Deputy Officer- Environmental Cell for fieldwork for a period of one year. The works undertaken by me in consultation with faculty supervisor are as fallowing. • Completed Study on the Slum and Sanitation Programmes at ward levels. Submitted observation reports to the Environmental cell for further action. Working with the Community Based Organizations and NGO’s working on Slum sanitation project of World Bank. • Worked with rag pickers (Waste collecting communities) in dumping grounds of Mumbai for their sustainable betterment. Selected as the advisor for BMC-NGO council on the matters of rag pickers issues. Coordinated activities with organizations working with waste picking communities. • Worked with the BMC for better outreach of the schemes to the communities. in M and S ward in Mumbai . • Worked for the Disaster mitigation plans for the Disaster management cell of the BMC. • Worked with Environment interest groups in Mumbai for organizing Environment fair • Coordinating member of the Vermicomposting Training programme of Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai. Convener for the Composting and Vermicomposting training programmes of the MCGM. • Conducted sessions on environment awareness in the BMC schools. • Study has been undertaken for Development of Collaborative Strategies between Maharashtra State Pollution Control Board, MCGM on pollution control issues. • Directed a Documentary film on Plastic recycling activities in Mumbai city.
1. FIRST YEAR RURAL FIELD WORK PLACEMENT Fieldwork agency-“Utkarsh”-CSR initiative of Tata Power Co.Ltd . http://www.tatapower.com/ “Utkarsh” is a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative of TATA POWER and it has been a field action project for Urban and Rural Community Development Department of Tata Institute of Social Sciences. The placement was for one-year duration. The fieldwork agency was working on integrated rural development initiatives in catchment areas of Tata Power Company in Pune District. The work undertaken during the fieldwork placement in ten villages of the catchment area by me under the guidance of Fieldwork supervisor is as fallows. • Rural community development initiatives in Mawal and Mulshi Talukas of Pune district of Maharashtra in the areas of environmental education, biodiversity conservation, watershed development, water harvesting techniques, organic agriculture awareness programmes in village communities. • Rural upliftment of poor and marginal through livelihood generation activities. Such as Mushroom production, Kitchen gardening, Apiculture training, Vermiculture training. • Tree planting activities with emphasis on indigenous varieties of tree species. • Worked on water conservation and Drip irrigation practices during summer season. • Worked with line departments for Need assessment under Employment guarantee schemes. • Worked with local communities on issues of education, Health, Sanitation. • Worked with Group Gram Panchayats to organize the Collaborative programmes. • Worked to establish Co-Operative Green houses with the help of Youth groups. • Compiled manual on schemes and programmes of Government of India, Government of Maharashtra. The manual has been distributed to the community-based organizations, local NGO’s in the catchment area. • Regular visits has been made to the farmers field to assist them regarding pest, disease problems to prescribe suitable remedial measures. Awareness generation among the communities regarding the subsidies, loans, marketing of produce. • Organized “KRISHI MELA”-Farmers exhibition and Developed watershed models for respective villages.
Institute of Rural Development and Agricultural Banking Bangalore for 1 month –2003 March Department of Agriculture- Karnataka for 1 month 2002 March in Farmers Training Center. Bhadravathi-Karnataka. Department of Rural development Karnataka for 1 month 2002-July “Ecowatch” –Centre for environment and sustainable development- for 1 month.2005 November under the Guidance of Mr. Suresh Heblikar-Environmentalist Bangalore.www.ecowatchindia.org Karnataka tree growers association Bidar for One month- 2004 November Karnataka State Pollution Control Board for 2 weeks on CARE FOR AIR campaign –Air Pollution Control Campaign in Bangalore. Indo Norwegian Environment Project (I.N.E.P) for 1 week on Tree Planting Drives Bombay Environment Action Group on the issues of Mangroves in Mumbai for a period of 2 weeks.
VOLUNTARY EXPERIENCE Volunteered in Tsunami relief in Tamilnadu for need assessment.2004 29th December-2004 January 30th Volunteered as student volunteer in KISAN MELA-Farmers agricultural fair in Bangalore 2001 January Volunteered for Bio.com (Biotechnology fair in Bangalore-2001, 2002) Volunteered for Tree planting drive in Rural areas of Pune district Maharashtra Volunteered for Flood relief operation during Mumbai 26/7 2005, done need assessment and community relief operation with TATA RELIEF COMMITTEE. Student Co-ordinator for M-ward in Mumbai for relief material distribution. Volunteered for “Journey of Green Peace” for 2 weeks Mumbai-2005 OCTOBER for Green Peace India Volunteered for Relief material distribution in M-ward under the leadership of Ms.Medha Patkar. N.A.P.M. for period of 1 week during post flood operations of 26/7 Mumbai floods.
* National Talent Scholarship from Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Delhi.1999. Secured 16th rank in all India level. * First Position in essay and quiz during population education week organized by National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT). New Delhi.1992. * First position for Essay competition organized by Family planning Association of India. 1995 * Won First place for the Paper presented on Intellectual property rights and Patenting of plants from Institute Of Agricultural Technologists Bangalore, in 2002 EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES: * College captain for Kabbadi team. Won first place in inter Agricultural Universities sports meet in Bangalore-2002 * Won best Poetry award in “Kannada Rajyothsawa”-celebrations organized by Kannada Culture Department and Kannada Sahithya Parishath, Shimoga.
POSITION OF RESPONSIBILTY, if any: Logistics in charge for Tsunami Relief in Tamilnadu. Job placement cell member in Agriculture college Bangalore President of “Kannada Sanga”-Agricultural College. Bangalore
INITIATIVES TAKEN Formed common interest group on Environment in Tata Institute of Social Sciences and Convener for the same. Conducted Save water week, Navdhanya festival.Vermicomposting pit upgradation.in campus. Founder member for Student’s Environment Club in Agricultural College Bangalore. Karnataka. Parthenium weed eradication initiatives in Davanagere District Karnataka. India
SEMINARS/WORKSHOPS/CONFERENCES ATTENDED The International Federation of Health and Human Rights Organization’s Annual Conference “Engendering Health and Human Rights”. 30th September &1st October 2005.Mumbai. Workshop On Environment and Media. April 22nd 2002 Organized by. Karnataka State Pollution Control and Indian Institute Of Journalism and New Media. Bangalore World Conference On Parthenium- Organized by Agricultural Training and Information Centre (ATIC). 15th February 2003.Banaglore Rehabilitation and Resettlement(R&R) Policy Draft meeting in Tata Institute of Social Sciences. Organic India 2006 in Bangalore organized by International Centre for Competence in Organic Agriculture. Round Table discussion on Producer Companies organized by AFCL in New Delhi on 31-Jan-2009 PERSONAL PROFILE: Date of Birth: 8th November 1980 Sex: Male Marital Status: Bachelor Passport Details-F6832372: Driving Licence for Two wheelers-yes Languages spoken: Kannada, Hindi, English Can read: Kannada, Hindi, English, Marathi, and Telugu Can write: Kannada, Hindi, English, Marathi, and Telugu
Other interests: Documentary making on community issues, focusing on Livelihood issues and Environmental issues. Attending training programmes and skill up gradation programmes on farming practices. Visiting organizations working on environment issues. Making watershed models. Practice of Participatory Rural Appraisal techniques in community settings. Hobbies: Kannada poetry, Kannada Lyrics Writing, Insect collection, Landscape gardening, Farming, Listening to music, Trekking, Dirt track bike riding. * Reading Books, Collecting posters about nature. * Dry leaf, flower, and fruits collection. * Collection of Seeds.
Permanent address: M.I.G.82.K.H.B Colony Gopala, Shimoga-577 201 Karnataka. Tel No: 91 8182 278246 Pradeep_rj@yahoo.co.in, Pardeep_rj@rediffmail.com, My blog page- www.environmentalcellfieldwork.blogspot.com. Posted on August 24, 2009---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------